The pelican brief ; The rainmaker
- Additional Titles:
- Pelican brief and John Grisham's The rainmaker
- Burbank, CA : Warner Home Video, 
- Widescreen ed.
- Physical Description:
- 2 videodiscs (141, 135 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Pakula, Alan J., 1928-1998, Roberts, Julia, 1967-, Washington, Denzel, 1954-, Coppola, Francis Ford, 1939-, Damon, Matt, Danes, Claire, 1979-, Voight, Jon, 1938-, Place, Mary Kay, Rourke, Mickey, DeVito, Danny, Grisham, John, Warner Bros. Pictures (1969- ), Constellation Films, American Zoetrope (Firm), and Paramount Pictures Corporation (1914-1927)
- Language Note:
- Pelican brief: English or dubbed French or dubbed Spanish dialogue; optional English, French and Spanish subtitles; closed captioned. Bonus material/trailer may not be subtitled.
Rainmaker: English or dubbed French dialogue; optional English, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles; closed captioned. Bonus material/trailer may not be subtitled.
- [disc 1]. The pelican brief / Warner Bros. presents an Alan J. Pakula film ; screenplay, Alan J. Pakula ; producers, Alan J. Pakula, Pieter Jan Brugge ; director, Alan J. Pakula -- [disc 2]. John Grisham's The rainmaker / Paramount ; Constellation Films presents a Douglas/Reuther production in association with American Zoetrope ; produced by Michael Douglas, Steven Reuther and Fred Fuchs ; screen play by Francis Ford Coppola ; directed by Francis Ford Coppola.
- Pelican brief: Two Supreme Court justices have been assassinated. One lone law student has stumbled upon the truth. An investigative journalist wants her story. Everyone else wants her dead.
Rainmaker: Rudy is a young lawyer fresh out of college who takes the case of his life. He is the only hope of an elderly couple whose insurance company will not pay for an operation that could save their son's life. Rudy takes on this client in his first case after the head of his law office has to hide because he's wanted by the feds. He must overcome many obstacles inside and outside the courtroom as he attempts to find out what it means to be a lawyer and how far you have to go before you become a sell-out.
- United States. Supreme Court—Drama
- Judges—Crimes against—Drama
- Women law students—Drama
- Washington (D.C.)—Drama
- Lawyers—United States—Drama
- Insurance companies—United States—Drama
- Health insurance claims—United States—Drama
- Grisham, John—Film adaptations
- Audience Notes:
- MPAA rating: PG13. (Pelican brief: momentary language and some violence; Rainmaker: a strong beating and elements of domestic abuse).
- Title from container.
Pelican brief released as a motion picture in 1993.
Rainmaker released as a motion picture in 1997.
Based on novels by John Grisham.
Pelican brief: Special features: thriller movie trailer gallery.
Rainmaker: Special features: Commentary by director Francis Ford Coppola and actor Danny DeVito; Watch 'The rainmaker' with Francis Ford Coppola ; Francis Ford Coppola directs John Grisham's The rainmaker ; Deleted scenes (includes extended beginning and alternate ending); 'The rainmaker' screen tests.
Description based on surrogate.
- Creation/Production Credits Note:
- Pelican brief: Director of photography, Stephen Goldblatt ; editors, Tom Rolf, Trudy Ship ; music, James Horner.
Rainmaker: Director of photography, John Toll ; editor, Barry Malkin ; music, Elmer Bernstein.
- Participant/Performer Note:
- Pelican brief: Julia Roberts, Denzel Washington, Sam Shepard, John Heard, Tony Goldwyn, James B. Sikking, William Atherton, Robert Culp, Stanley Tucci, Hume Cronyn, John Lithgow.
Rainmaker: Matt Damon, Claire Danes, Jon Voight, Mary Kay Place, Mickey Rourke, Danny DeVito, Dean Stockwell, Teresa Wright, Virginia Madsen, Michael Herr (narrator).
- Technical Details:
- Pelican brief: DVD; English Dolby digital surround 5.1, French and Spanish surround stereo.; widescreen (16 x 9 2.4:1); double-sided; Region 1.
Rainmaker: DVD ; Dolby digital surround 5.1, surround stereo. ; widescreen (16 x 9) ; Region 1.
View MARC record | catkey: 14060626