Design and Test of a Nb3Sn Subscale Dipole Magnet for Training Studies [electronic resource].
- Berkeley, Calif. : Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 2007. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- As part of a collaboration between CEA/Saclay and the Superconducting Magnet Group at LBNL, a subscale dipole structure has been developed to study training in Nb3Sn coils under variable pre-stress conditions. This design is derived from the LBNL Subscale Magnet and relies on the use of identical Nb₃Sn racetrack coils. Whereas the original LBNL subscale magnet was in a dual bore 'common-coil' configuration, the new subscale dipole magnet (SD) is assembled as a single bore dipole made of two superposed racetrack coils. The dipole is supported by a new mechanical structure developed to withstand the horizontal and axial Lorentz forces and capable of applying variable vertical, horizontal and axial preload. The magnet was tested at LBNL as part of a series of training studies aiming at understanding of the relation between pre-stress and magnet performance. Particular attention is given to the coil ends where the magnetic field peaks and stress conditions are the least understood. After a description of SD design, assembly, cool-down and tests results are reported and compared with the computations of the OPERA3D and ANSYS magnetic and mechanical models.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 06/01/2007., "lbnl-887e", IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity 17 2 FT, Dietderich, Daniel R.; Ferracin, Paolo; Caspi, Shlomo; Gourlay, Steve A.; Lietzke, Alan F.; Mailfert, Alain; Felice, Helene; Hafalia, Aurelo R.; Sabbi, GainLuca; Vedrine, Pierre., Accelerator&, and Fusion Research Division
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14061888