Revision of the statistical mechanics of phonons to include phonon line widths [electronic resource].
- Los Alamos, N.M. : Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1983.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 4 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Zubarev in 1960 obtained the smeared Bose-Einstein (B-E) function in order to take into account the fact that the eigenenergy associated with a fixed phonon wave vector q and fixed polarization index j is not precisely defined but instead, is smeared by phonon-phonon and phonon-electron interactions. The ratio GAMMA(qj)/..omega..(qj) is often quite small, i.e., of the order of 0.01 or less, where GAMMA is the phonon linewidth and h-bar ..omega.. is the eigenenergy. However, in strongly anharmonic crystals GAMMA/..omega.. may be as large as 0.3 at certain points of the Brillouin zone. In such dramatic cases one would suspect that such phonon linewidths would have some observable effect on the thermodynamic properties. The purpose of this work is to derive the expression for the average free energy per mode for a crystal having large phonon linewidths and to test the properties of the thermodynamic functions derivable from the average free energy per mode. (WHK)
- Published through SciTech Connect.
4. international conference on phonon scattering in condensed matter, Stuttgart, F.R. Germany, 22 Aug 1983.
Overton, W.C. Jr.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14063655