Lance for fuel and oxygen injection into smelting or refining furnace [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy, 1994.
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- A furnace 10 for smelting iron ore and/or refining molten iron 20 is equipped with an overhead pneumatic lance 40, through which a center stream of particulate coal 53 is ejected at high velocity into a slag layer 30. An annular stream of nitrogen or argon 51 enshrouds the coal stream. Oxygen 52 is simultaneously ejected in an annular stream encircling the inert gas stream 51. The interposition of the inert gas stream between the coal and oxygen streams prevents the volatile matter in the coal from combusting before it reaches the slag layer. Heat of combustion is thus more efficiently delivered to the slag, where it is needed to sustain the desired reactions occurring there. A second stream of lower velocity oxygen can be delivered through an outermost annulus 84 to react with carbon monoxide gas rising from slag layer 30, thereby adding still more heat to the furnace.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:us 5374297
- Other Subject(s):
- Lance Fuel Oxygen Injection Smelting Refining Furnace Furnace 10 Smelting Iron Refining Molten Iron 20 Equipped Overhead Pneumatic Lance 40 Center Stream Particulate Coal 53 Ejected Velocity Slag Layer 30 Annular Stream Nitrogen Argon 51 Enshrouds Coal Stream Oxygen 52 Simultaneously Ejected Annular Stream Encircling Inert Gas Stream 51 Interposition Inert Gas Stream Coal Oxygen Streams Prevents Volatile Matter Coal Combusting Reaches Slag Layer Heat Combustion Efficiently Delivered Slag Sustain Desired Reactions Occurring Stream Velocity Oxygen Delivered Outermost Annulus 84 React Carbon Monoxide Gas Rising Slag Layer 30 Adding Heat Furnace Monoxide Gas Volatile Matter Carbon Monoxide Gas Stream Gas Stream Inert Gas Inert Gas Particulate Coal Slag Layer Slag Layer Slag Layer Molten Iron Coal Stream Smelting Iron Gas Rising Refining Molten Reactions Occur Center Stream Oxygen Injection Oxygen Stream Overhead Pneumatic Oxide Gas Pneumatic Lance
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Schlichting, Mark R.
American Iron and Steel Inst., Pittsburgh, PA (United States)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14065326