Pyrochemical process for extracting plutonium from an electrolyte salt [electronic resource].
- Los Alamos, N.M. : Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1984.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Additional Creators:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- A pyrochemical process for extracting plutonium from a plutonium-bearing salt is disclosed. The process is particularly useful in the recovery of plutonium from electrolyte salts which are left over from the electrorefining of plutonium. In accordance with the process, the plutonium-bearing salt is melted and mixed with metallic calcium. The calcium reduces ionized plutonium in the salt to plutonium metal, and also causes metallic plutonium in the salt, which is typically present as finely dispersed metallic shot, to coalesce. The reduced and coalesced plutonium separates out on the bottom of the reaction vessel as a separate metallic phase which is readily separable from the overlying salt upon cooling of the mixture. Yields of plutonium are typically on the order of 95%. The stripped salt is virtually free of plutonium and may be discarded to low-level waste storage.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:us 4459153
- Other Subject(s):
- Pyrochemical Process Extracting Plutonium Electrolyte Salt Pyrochemical Process Extracting Plutonium Plutonium-Bearing Salt Disclosed Process Particularly Useful Recovery Plutonium Electrolyte Salts Left Electrorefining Plutonium Accordance Process Plutonium-Bearing Salt Melted Mixed Metallic Calcium Calcium Reduces Ionized Plutonium Salt Plutonium Metal Causes Metallic Plutonium Salt Typically Finely Dispersed Metallic Shot Coalesce Reduced Coalesced Plutonium Separates Bottom Reaction Vessel Separate Metallic Phase Readily Separable Overlying Salt Cooling Mixture Yields Plutonium Typically 95 Stripped Salt Virtually Free Plutonium Discarded Low-Level Waste Storage Metallic Phase Particularly Useful Reaction Vessel Plutonium Metal Waste Storage Chemical Process Chemical Process Separate Metallic Level Waste Electrolyte Salt Electrolyte Salt Electrolyte Salts Low-Level Waste Pyrochemical Process Pyrochemical Process Extracting Plutonium Extracting Plutonium Separate Metal
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Mullins, Lawrence J.; Christensen, Dana C.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14065719