The complaint, or, Night-thoughts on life, death, & immortality
- Young, Edward, 1683-1765
- London : Printed for R. Dodsley, 1742-1745.
- Physical Description:
- 8 volumes in 1 ; 25 cm
- [pt. 1]. Night the first -- [pt. 2]. Night the second: On time, death, friendship -- [pt. 3]. Night the third: Narcissa -- [pt. 4]. Night the fourth: The Christian triumph -- [pt. 5]. Night the fifth: The relapse -- [pt. 6]. Night the sixth: The infidel reclaim'd. Where, among other things, glory, and riches, are particularly consider'd (part the first) -- [pt. 7]. Night the seventh: Being the second part of the Infidel reclaim'd. The nature, proof, and importance, of immortality -- [pt. 8]. Night the eighth: Virtue's apology, or, The man of the world answered.
- Related Titles:
- Night-thoughts on life, death, & immortality
- Rare Books copy: Formerly part of an 18th-century library in Williamscote House near Banbury, England, assembled by John Loveday (1711-1789), philologist and antiquary, who lived at Caversham in Oxfordshire. The library was moved to Williamscote House in 1799 by John Loveday the second (1742-1809), Doctor of Laws.
- Eight parts published.
Each part has a special title page and separate paging.
Part 1 is second ed., 1742 ; part 2 is third ed., 1743 ; part 3 is second ed., 1742 ; parts 4 through 7 no edition, 1744 ; part 8 is no edition, 1745.
Part 5 is a mixed copy, blending sheets A, E, and F from the second edition (1744), and sheets B-D and G-H from the first edition (1743).
- Binding notes:
- With this copy 2 is bound:The consolation / Edward Young. London : Printed for G. Hawkins, and sold by M. Cooper, 1745 -- Divine wisdom and providence / Mr. Bridges. The third edition, corrected. London : Printed for T. Worrall, 1738.
View MARC record | catkey: 1407036