End-to-end simulation [electronic resource] : the front end
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2001.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 8 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- For the intense beams in heavy ion fusion accelerators, details of the beam distribution as it emerges from the source region can determine the beam behavior well downstream. This occurs because collective space-charge modes excited as the beam is born remain undamped for many focusing periods. Traditional studies of the source region in particle beam systems have emphasized the behavior of averaged beam characteristics, such as total current, rms beam size, or emittance, rather than the details of the full beam distribution function that are necessary to predict the excitation of these modes. Simulations of the beam in the source region and comparisons to experimental measurements at LBNL and the University of Maryland are presented to illustrate some of the complexity in beam characteristics that has been uncovered as increased attention has been devoted to developing a detailed understanding of the source region. Also discussed are methods of using the simulations to infer characteristics of the beam distribution that can be difficult to measure directly.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:lbnl--51270
E 1.99: hifan 1192
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
" hifan 1192"
"B& R AT5015031"
14th International Symposium on Heavy Ion Inertial Fusion, Moscow (RU), 05/26/2002--05/31/2002.
Friedman, A.; Grote, D.P.; Haber, I.; Henestroza, E.; Celata, C.M.; Kishek, R.A.; Herrmannsfeldt, W.B.; Reiser, M.; Bieniosek, F.M.; Bernal, S.; O'Shea, P.G.; Vay, J-L.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14074474