Technical and economic analysis of energy efficiency of Chinese room air conditioners [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Environmental Protection Agency, 2001. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- vp : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, United States. Environmental Protection Agency, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- China has experienced tremendous growth in the production and sales of room air conditioners over the last decade. Although minimum room air conditioner energy efficiency standards have been in effect since 1989, no efforts were made during most of the 1990's to update the standard to be more reflective of current market conditions. In 1999, China's State Bureau of Technical Supervision (SBTS) included in their annual plan the development and revision of the 1989 room air conditioner standard, and experts from SBTS worked together with LBNL to analyze the new standards. Based on the engineering and life cycle-cost analyses performed, the most predominant type of room air conditioner in the Chinese market (split-type with a cooling capacity between 2500 and 4500 W (8500 Btu/h and 15,300Btu/h)) can have its efficiency increased cost-effectively to an energy efficiency ratio (EER) of 2.92 W/W (9.9 Btu/hr/W). If an EER standard of 2.92 W/W became effective in 2001, Chinese consumers would be estimated to save over 3.5 billion Yuan (420 million U.S. dollars) over the period of 2001-2020. Carbon emissions over the same period would be reduced by approximately 12 million metric tonnes.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 02/01/2001., "lbnl--45550", and Rosenquist, Gregory; Fridley, David G.; Jiang, Lin; Li, Aixian; Xin, Dingguo; Cheng, Jianhong.
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Funding Information:
- AC03-76SF00098 and 43CY01
View MARC record | catkey: 14076325