Molecular epidemiology of severe ambient air pollution on women and the developing fetus. Progress report, 15 September 1993--14 September 1994 [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1994.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 7 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Columbia University, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The research goal is validation of a number of promising biomarkers in two groups of Polish women and their newborn infants: 73 mother/child pairs from Krakow, a city with elevated air pollution and 90 pairs from Limanowa, a less polluted area. Specifically, the authors are evaluating: (1) the relationship between ambient exposures and the following markers of biologically effective dose and biologic response: PAH-DNA adducts by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon-DNA adducts by ³²P-postlabeling and the frequency of gene mutation at the hprt locus in T-lymphocytes; (2) the relationship between markers of biologically effective dose (adducts) and markers of biologic response (gene mutation); (3) the comparison of the same biomarkers in maternal and fetal/newborn tissues to assess possible differences in response and susceptibility; (4) the ability of genetic/metabolic markers (CYP1A1 mRNA, CYP1A1 enzyme activity, CYP1A1 MspI polymorphism and glutathione-S-transferase (GSTM1) genotype) to modify markers of biologically effective dose and biologic response, including an estimate of host versus environmental contributions; and (5) the relationship between biomarkers (PAH-DNA adducts and serum cotinine) to birth weight.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:doe/er/61719--1
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Annual; 01/01/1993 - 12/31/1994
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14079002