Pornography and the criminal justice system / Carmen M. Cusack
- Cusack, Carmen M.
- Boca Raton, FL : CRC Press, 2015.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 274 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- 1. Philosophical and jurisprudential underpinnings -- 2. Pornography in the U.S. criminal justice system -- 3. Obscenity -- 4. Pornography production and the U.S. criminal justice system -- 5. Children, pornography, and the law -- 6. Pornography and viewers' crime -- 7. Relationship between pornography and trafficking -- 8. Commonalities and comorbidities within child pornography -- 9. Prosecution -- 10. Illegal pornography, cyberspace, and technology -- 11. The pornography business and crime -- 12. Family law and pornography -- 13. Public pornography -- 14. Unintended pornography -- 15. Bestiality -- 16. Simulations -- 17. Fantasies and free speech -- 18. Punishments for pornography -- 19. Crooked members of the criminal justice system -- 20. Evidence -- 21. Pornography addiction, retribution, and rehabilitation -- 22. International and comparative -- 23. The future.
- "This volume assembles hundreds of cases and studies to provide the most accurate and comprehensive picture of the status of pornography in the criminal justice system. Presenting high-level research in an accessible and organized manner, it explores a range of topics, including investigating and prosecuting a case, arguments favoring and opposing decriminalization of pornography, and relationships between pornography, mental disorders, and crime. It also examines criminal justice responses and international laws, policies, attitudes, and definitions of pornography in comparison to those of the United States"-- and "Introduction Pornography and the Criminal Justice System explains and analyzes how the criminal justice system treats pornography. This book examines a variety of gray areas, especially the difficult task of defining "pornography." Pornography and the Criminal Justice System discusses why some erotic depictions are celebrated but some are defined as a "crime." Several chapters discuss contemporary legal standards for proving pornography crimes and potential legal defenses for pornography offenses. Pornography and the Criminal Justice System introduces readers to investigation, evidence collection, witness testimony, expert testimony, interagency collaboration, and other aspects of policing and prosecuting pornography. Readers will learn about important cases, laws, and trends in society, on the Internet, and in the legal system. Readers will also learn various arguments favoring and opposing decriminalization of all pornography, including hard-core pornography, synthetic pornography, and child pornography. Some arguments in favor of decriminalization include free speech and contemporary tolerance for nontraditional sexuality; arguments against decriminalization include maintenance of traditional morality and relationships between sex crimes and pornography. Political, religious, cultural, and historical perspectives are analyzed. Historical and current interpretations of First Amendment protections of free speech are discussed in detail"--
- 9781482260014 (pbk. : alk. paper) and 1482260018 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the James F. Robb Fund; 2014
View MARC record | catkey: 14084538