Preliminary assessments (PAs) under CERCLA. CERCLA Information Brief [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1993.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 2 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Section 105 of the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and liability Act (CERCLA) required the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to establish criteria for determining priorities among releases or threatened releases of hazardous substances for the purpose of taking remedial action. EPA promulgated the Hazard Ranking System (HRS) for this purpose. In response to requirements of the Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization Act (SARA) the MRS has since been revised. The HRS is Appendix A to the National Oil and Hazardous Substances Pollution Contingency Plan (NCP). A preliminary assessment (PA) is the first step in the process of evaluating a site potentially contaminated with hazardous substances or pollutants pursuant to CERCLA, the NCP, and the HRS. The purpose of the PA is to differentiate sites that pose no potential threat to human heath and the environment from sites that warrant further investigation under CERCLA.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
USDOE Assistant Secretary for Environment, Safety, and Health, Washington, DC (United States). RCRA/CERCLA Div.
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Topical; 05/01/1993 - 05/01/1993
View MARC record | catkey: 14093030