The handbook of the study of play / edited by James E. Johnson, Scott G. Eberle, Thomas S. Henricks, and David Kuschner
- Lanham, Maryland : Rowman & Littlefield, 
- Physical Description:
- 2 volumes (xv, 528 pages) ; 26 cm
- Additional Creators:
- Johnson, James E. (James Ewald), 1947-, Eberle, Scott G., 1952-, Henricks, Thomas S., and Kuschner, David, 1948-
- Overview : play as self realization: towards a general theory of play / Thomas Henricks -- Integrative approaches to the biological study of play / Gordon Burghardt -- Play in America : an historical overview / Jon-Paul C. Dyson -- Psychological approaches to the study of play / Doris Bergen -- Anthropology and the study of play / Garry Chick -- Parent-child play across cultures : theoretical considerations and suggestions for advancing play research / Jaipaul L. Roopnarine and Kimberly Davidson -- Sociological perspectives on play / Thomas S. Henricks -- Studying play without calling it that: humanistic and positive psychology / Peter Gray -- Philosophizing play / Wendy Russell and Emily Ryall -- Classic theories of play / Thomas S. Henricks -- Modern theorists of play : Huizinga, Caillois, Goffman, and Henricks / Thomas S. Henricks -- The interpretation of play : psychoanalysis and beyond / Stephen P. Demanchick -- Standing 'a head taller than himself' : Vygotskian and post-Vygotskian views on children's play / Elena Bodrova and Deborah Leong -- Play through a Bakhtinian lens / Lynn E. Cohen -- Piaget's sympathetic but unromantic account of children's play / Richard DeLisi -- Play theory : a personal journey and new thoughts / Brian Sutton-Smith -- Games psychotherapists play : hide and seek in the therapeutic dialog / Terry Marks-Tarlow -- Play and early childhood education / David Kuschner -- Recess and learning : research on the effects of recess on children and teachers / Olga S. Jarrett -- The principles of playwork / Fraser Brown -- "Jamming together" as musical play / Patricia A. St. John -- Performance, theatre, and improvisation : bringing play and development into new arenas / Carrie Lobman -- Play interventions and therapy / Cindy Dell Clark -- Where are we now? : challenges for the study of play / Thomas S. Henricks -- A student's guide for understanding play through the theories of Brian Sutton-Smith / Alice M. Meckley -- Play therapy on the edge : understanding definitions and change mechanisms / Stephen P. Demanchick and Mary Anne Peabody -- How does play contribute to literacy? / James F. Christie and Kathleen A. Roskos -- Designing and creating playgrounds : the future is now / Joe L. Frost -- Mapping the landscape of children's play / David Lancy -- Challenges to research on play : mending the methodological mistakes / Angeline S. Lillard, Rebecca A. Dore, Emily J. Hopkins, and Eric D. Smith -- Does play have to be playful? / Lynn A. Barnett and Megan H. Owens -- Play fighting and real fighting / Peter Smith -- Integrating conceptual divisions within and between the studies of play and well-being / Gwen Gordon -- Give play a chance : the psychobiology of play and the benefits of social playfulness / Jaak Panksepp -- Epilogue : what's not play? A meditation / Scott Eberle.
- 9781475807943 (2 volume set : cloth : alk. paper)
1475807945 (cloth : alk. paper)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 14098567