Local : the new face of food and farming in America / Douglas Gayeton
- Gayeton, Douglas
- New York : Harper Design, 2014.
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 271 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), portraits ; 26 cm
- Our agreement : A road to Damascus moment ; The power of words -- pt. I. The local food movement : Food miles ; Terroir ; A new Marshall Plan, or economies of community ; The locavore ; Know your farmer ; Eating in season ; Is Athens, Georgia, the new local? ; Building infrastructure, or how the Roto-Fingers Pea-Bean Sheller will save the world ; Farmers' markets ; Community-supported agriculture ; Food deserts and corner stores ; Food hubs and the art of cooperative distribution ; The new main street, or pie = community ; Nearly local: the story of connected markets -- pt. II. Certification : Organic ; Fair trade vs. direct trade ; GMOs ; Local first, certification second -- pt. III. Unconventional agriculture : Seeds ; Biodiversity vs. monoculture ; Soil fertility ; Biodynamics ; Permaculture ; Unconventional ; Beneficials ; Appropriate technology ; Identity-preserved grains ; Asphalt agriculture -- pt. IV. Livestock : Grass farming ; Grass fed ; Pasture-raised ; Hatcheries and feed ; Humane treatment ; Antibiotic-free ; Humane slaughter -- pt. V. Fisheries : Traceability ; Mariculture and aquaculture -- pt. VI. Food is our future and our past : The politics of food ; Food is culture ; Edible education ; 57 -- pt. VII. The new food economy : The real cost of cheap food ; Food waste ; Water stewardship ; Land stewardship ; What is sustainability? -- The end (or the beginning).
- Educates, engages, and asks people to pay closer attention to how they eat, what they buy, and their responsibility for creating a healthier, safer food system in America.
- Multimedia content available via an app for iOS or Android devices.
- Source of Acquisition:
- Purchased with funds from the Paterno Libraries Endowment (Campus College Libraries); 2014
View MARC record | catkey: 14099352