Synthesis and Electrochemistry of Li3MnO4 [electronic resource] : Mn in the +5 OxidationState
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2007. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Computational and experimental work directed at exploringthe electrochemical properties of tetrahedrally coordinated Mn in the +5oxidation state is presented. Specific capacities of nearly 700 mAh/g arepredicted for the redox processes of LixMnO4 complexes based on twotwo-phase reactions. One is topotactic extractionof Li from Li3MnO4 toform LiMnO4 and the second is topotactic insertion of Li into Li3MnO4 toform Li5MnO4. In experiments, it is found that the redox behavior ofLi3MnO4 is complicated by disproportionation of Mn5+ in solution to formMn4+ and Mn7+ and byother irreversible processes; although an initialcapacity of about 275 mAh/g in lithiumcells was achieved. Strategiesbased on structural considerations to improve the electrochemicalproperties of MnO4n- complexes are given.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 06/19/2007., "lbnl--63242", ": VT0301030", Journal of Power Sources 172 1 SI ISSN 0378-7753; JPSODZ FT, Doeff, Marca M.; Reed, John; Saint, Juliette.A., and Ernest Orlando Lawrence Berkeley NationalLaboratory, Berkeley, CA (US)
- Funding Information:
- DE-AC02-05CH11231 and 500302
View MARC record | catkey: 14100092