Liquefaction process [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy, 1981.
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Scale formation during the liquefaction of lower ranking coals and similar carbonaceous materials is significantly reduced and/or prevented by pretreatment with a combination of pretreating agents comprising SO.sub.2 and an oxidizing agent. It is essential to effective operation that the moisture content of the solid carbonaceous material be within the range from about 10 to about 25 wt %, based on dry solid carbonaceous material, during the pretreatment. The pretreatment is believed to convert at least a portion of the scale-forming components and particularly calcium, to the corresponding sulfate prior to liquefaction. The pretreatment may be accomplished with the combination of pretreating agents either simultaneously by using a mixture comprising SO.sub.2 and a gaseous oxidizing agent or sequentially by first treating with SO.sub.2 and then with an oxidizing agent.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:us 4304655
- Other Subject(s):
- Liquefaction Process Scale Formation Liquefaction Ranking Coals Similar Carbonaceous Materials Significantly Reduced Prevented Pretreatment Combination Pretreating Agents Comprising Oxidizing Agent Essential Effective Operation Moisture Content Solid Carbonaceous Material Range 10 25 Wt Based Dry Solid Carbonaceous Material Pretreatment Pretreatment Believed Convert Portion Scale-Forming Components Particularly Calcium Corresponding Sulfate Prior Liquefaction Pretreatment Accomplished Combination Pretreating Agents Simultaneously Mixture Comprising Gaseous Oxidizing Agent Sequentially Treating Oxidizing Agent Scale Formation Significantly Reduce Scale-Forming Components Dry Solid Ranking Coals Moisture Content Carbonaceous Materials Liquefaction Process Carbonaceous Material Carbonaceous Material Carbonaceous Material Solid Carbonaceous Solid Carbonaceous Mixture Comprising Significantly Reduced Oxidizing Agent Oxidizing Agent Oxidizing Agent Similar Carbonaceous Solid Carbon Solid Carbon Sulfate Prior Particularly Calcium Pretreating Agents Pretreating Agents Gaseous Oxidizing Oxidizing Agen Oxidizing Agen Oxidizing Agen Agents Comprising
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Poddar, Syamal K.
Exxon Research and Engineering Co.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14101715