MFIX simulation of NETL/PSRI challenge problem of circulating fluidized bed [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2012.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 746 - 760 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- National Energy Technology Laboratory (U.S.)
United States. Department of Energy
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- In this paper, numerical simulations of NETL/PSRI challenge problem of circulating fluidized bed (CFB) using the open-source code Multiphase Flow with Interphase eXchange (MFIX) are reported. Two rounds of simulation results are reported including the first-round blind test and the second-round modeling refinement. Three-dimensional high fidelity simulations are conducted to model a 12-inch diameter pilot-scale CFB riser. Detailed comparisons between numerical results and experimental data are made with respect to axial pressure gradient profile, radial profiles of solids velocity and solids mass flux along different radial directions at various elevations for operating conditions covering different fluidization regimes. Overall, the numerical results show that CFD can predict the complex gas–solids flow behavior in the CFB riser reasonably well. In addition, lessons learnt from modeling this challenge problem are presented.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Chemical Engineering Science 84 ISSN 0009-2509 AM
Shahnam, Mehrdad; Li, Tingwen; Dietiker, Jean-Francois.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14103104