Solubility of Litharge (a-PbO) in Alkaline Media at Elevated Temperatures [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2004.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 2,249 Kilobytes pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Lockheed Martin, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- An inert, flowing autoclave facility is used to investigate the solubility behavior of α-PbO (litharge, tetragonal) in aqueous solutions of morpholine, ammonia and sodium hydroxide between 38 and 260 C. Lead solubilities increased from about 0.4 mmol kg⁻¹ at 38 C to about 4.5 mmol kg⁻¹ at 260 C and were relatively insensitive to the concentration and identity of the pH-reagent. The measured lead solubilities were interpreted using a Pb(II) ion hydroxocomplexing model and thermodynamic functions for these equilibria were obtained from a least-squares analysis of the data. A consistent set of thermodynamic properties for the species Pb(OH)⁺, Pb(OH)₂(aq) and Pb(OH)₃⁻ is provided to permit accurate lead oxide solubility calculations over broad ranges of temperature and alkalinity.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:lm-04k145
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
P Benezeth; SE Ziemniak; DA Palmer; LM Anovitz.
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Final; 11/02/2004 - 11/02/2004
- Funding Information:
- AC 12-00-SN39357
View MARC record | catkey: 14105918