Asbestos penetration test system for clothing materials [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Defense, 1997.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 11 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
United States. Department of Defense
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- For hazardous work such as asbestos abatement, there is a need to assess protective clothing fabrics and seam constructions to assure an adequate barrier against hazardous material. The penetration of aerosols through fabrics usually is measured by challenging fabric samples with an aerosol stream at a constant specified airflow. To produce the specified airflow, pressure differentials across the samples often are higher than exist in a work environment. This higher airflow results in higher aerosol velocities through the fabric and, possibly, measured penetration values not representative of those actually experienced in the field. The objective of the reported work was to develop a test method that does not require these higher airflows. The authors have designed and fabricated a new system that tests fabric samples under a low, constant, specified pressure differential across the samples. This differential is adjustable from tenths of a mm Water Gauge (hundredths of an in WG) to over 25-mm WG (1-in WG). The system operates at a pressure slightly lower than its surroundings. Although designed primarily for asbestos, the system is equally applicable to the testing of other aerosols by changing the aerosol generator and detector. Through simple modification of the sample holders, the test apparatus would be capable of evaluating seam and closure constructions.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
American Society for Testing of Materials (ASTM) conference, Orlando, FL (United States), 18-19 Jun 1996.
Bradley, O.D.; Cooper, M.H.; Heath, C.A.; Stampfer, J.F.; Sandoval, A.N.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14107774