Dense inclined flows [electronic resource] : Theory and experiments. Quarterly technical progress report, January 1, 1994--March 31, 1994
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1994. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 4 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Rapid, gravity-driven flows of granular materials down inclines pose a challenge; even in situations in which the flow is steady and two-dimensional, the balance of momentum and energy within the flow and at the bottom boundary are not well understood. A research program was undertaken integrating theory, computer simulation, and experiment that will focus on dense entry flows down inclines. The effort involves the development of theory informed by the results of simultaneous computer simulations and the construction, instrumentation, and use of an experimental facility in which the variables necessary to assess the success or failure of the theory can be measured. In this period, we have improved the operations of the chute facility to permit a precise setting of its angle. We have also improved the microphone probe and collection vessel that records the mass holdup of particles. We have completed a series of measurements of the impact properties of acrylic and polystyrene spheres. Finally, we have interrogated our computer simulations in an effort to refine our theoretical predictions for the flux of fluctuating energy through a flat, frictional wall.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 06/01/1994., "doe/pc/90183--t11", "DE94012605", "AA1510050", Jenkins, J.T.; Louge, M.Y., and Cornell Univ., Ithaca, NY (United States)
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Quarterly; 01/01/1994 - 03/31/1994
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14109008