Small business initiative -- Surface inspection machine infrared (SIMIR) [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1997.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 5 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- This Cooperative Research and Development Agreement was a one year effort to make the surface inspection machine based on diffuse reflectance infrared spectroscopy (Surface Inspection Machine-Infrared, SIMIR), being developed by Surface Optics Corporation, perform to its highest potential as a practical, portable surface inspection machine. A secondary purpose was to evaluate applications that would serve both the private and the public sector. The design function of the SIMIR is to inspect sandblasted metal surfaces for cleanliness (stains). The system is also capable of evaluating graphite-resin systems for cure and heat damage, and for measuring the effects of moisture exposure on lithium hydride, corrosion on uranium metal, and the constituents of and contamination on wood, paper, and fabrics. Surface Optics Corporation supplied LMES-Y12 with a prototype SOC-400 that was evaluated by LMES-Y12 and rebuilt by Surface Optics to achieve the desired performance. LMES-Y12 subsequently evaluated the instrument against numerous applications including determining part cleanliness at the Corpus Christi Army Depot, demonstrating the ability to detect plasticizers and other organic contaminants on metals to Pantex and LANL personnel, analyzed sandblasted metal contamination standards supplied by NASA-MSFC, and demonstrated to Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft, marietta, GA, for analyzing the paint applied to the F-22 Fighter. The instrument also demonstrated the analysis of yarn, fabric, and finish on the textiles.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Powell, G.L.; Beecroft, M.
Oak Ridge Y-12 Plant, TN (United States)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14110686