Real-time analysis, visualization, and steering of microtomography experiments at photon sources [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 2000.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 15 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Argonne National Laboratory
United States. Department of Energy
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- A new generation of specialized scientific instruments called synchrotron light sources allow the imaging of materials at very fine scales. However, in contrast to a traditional microscope, interactive use has not previously been possible because of the large amounts of data generated and the considerable computation required translating this data into a useful image. The authors describe a new software architecture that uses high-speed networks and supercomputers to enable quasi-real-time and hence interactive analysis of synchrotron light source data. This architecture uses technologies provided by the Globus computational grid toolkit to allow dynamic creation of a reconstruction pipeline that transfers data from a synchrotron source beamline to a preprocessing station, next to a parallel reconstruction system, and then to multiple visualization stations. Collaborative analysis tools allow multiple users to control data visualization. As a result, local and remote scientists can see and discuss preliminary results just minutes after data collection starts. The implications for more efficient use of this scarce resource and for more effective science appear tremendous.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
9th SIAM Conference on Parallel Processing for Scientific Computing, San Antonio, TX (US), 03/22/1999--03/24/1999.
Wang, S.; Rivers, M. L.; Su, M.; Foster, I.; Insley, J. A.; Kesselman, C.; Tieman, B., McNulty, I.; Bresnahan, J.; von Laszeski, G.; Thiebaux, M.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14111016