Measurements on spent-fuel assemblies at Arkansas Nuclear One using the Fork system. Final report, January 1995 [electronic resource].
- Palo Alto, Calif. : Electric Power Research Institute, 1997. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 29 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Sandia National Laboratories, Electric Power Research Institute, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The Fork measurement system has been used to examine spent-fuel assemblies at the two reactors of Arkansas Nuclear One, operated by Entergy Operations, Inc. The Unit 1 reactor is a Babcock and Wilcox (B and W) design, and the Unit 2 reactor is a Combustion Engineering (CE) design. The neutron and gamma-ray emissions from individual spent-fuel assemblies were measured in the storage pools by raising each assembly pathway out of the storage rack and performing a measurement near the center of the assembly. The overall accuracy of the measurements after corrections is about 2%. Thirty-four assemblies were examined at Unit 1, and forty-one assemblies at Unit 2. The average deviation of the burnup measurements from the calibration was 3.0% at Unit 1 and 3.5% at Unit 2, indicating 2 to 3% random variation among the reactor records. There was no indication of clearly anomalous assemblies. Axial Scans of the variation in neutron and gamma ray emission were obtained by collecting data at several locations along the length of three assemblies at Unit 2. Two of these assemblies were nonstandard in that each contained a small neutron source. The sources were detected by the axial scans. The test program was a cooperative effort involving Sandia National Laboratories, Los Alamos National Laboratory, Entergy Operations, Inc., the Electric Power Research Institute, and the Office of Civilian Radioactive Waste Management of the US Department of Energy.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 03/01/1997., "sand--96-1364", "DE97004347", and Bosler, G.E.; Sullivan, S.; Ewing, R.I.; Bronowski, D.R.; Siebelist, R.; Priore, J.; Hansford, C.H.
- Funding Information:
- AC04-94AL85000 and W-7405-ENG-36
View MARC record | catkey: 14112882