Output power enhancement of ac Raman free-electron laser [electronic resource].
- Los Alamos, N.M. : Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1987.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 19 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The ac free-electron laser (ac FEL) uses an ac (temporally oscillating but spatially uniform) field as the pump source with the hope that electromagnetic radiation will be produced with wavelength shorter than that can be generated by a conventional magnet FEL. The ac field can be provided by a superconducting cavity or by a plasma wave. In this note, the effects of the thermal motion of the electron beam on the linear gain and the nonlinear saturated output power in a Raman-regime ac FEL with the launch of an electromagnetic signal wave by particle-in-cell simulations are investigated. The output power enhancement of the ac FEL either by imposing an appropriate axial electric field at the time of radiation saturation or by properly tapering the strength or the frequency of the ac pump is discussed.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:la-ur-87-3013
E 1.99: conf-8709140-1
- Published through SciTech Connect.
9. international free electron laser conference, Williamsburg, VA, USA, 14 Sep 1987.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14117458