RESEARCH IN NUCLEAR PHYSICS. Progress Report No. 7 [electronic resource].
- West Lafayette, Ind. : Purdue Research Foundation, 1957.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 48 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Purdue Research Foundation
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- A twenty-inch analyzing magnet has been completed except for the final trimming of the pole pieces. In onder to further examine the systematics in the angular distribution of elastically scattered alpha particles, the scattering of alpha particles from spectroscopically pure O/sup 16/ and hydrogen sulfide gases was studied. The change of the static quadrupole interaction in indium metal wth temperature was investigated. Results give a value Q = 10/sup -24/ cm/sup 2/. An experimental study of the betagamma directional correlations in the decay of Au/sup 198/, he long-range as well as the short-range stabilily of the fast coinci-dence scintillation spectrometer has been improved by building new 404A limiter circuits. The directional correlation of the 172 to 247 kev gamma cascade of Cd/sup 111/ was measured for gaseous InCl/sub 3/ sources as a function of the delay introduced into the channel accepting the first gamma ray of the cascade, and also as a function of the source temperature and pressure. This was done in an attempt to determine the nature of the interaction to which the Cd/sup 111/ nucleus is subjected when the source is in the gaseous state. In the decay of Cl/sup 40/ there is evidence for gamma rays of 0.55, 0.66, 0.96, 1.1, 4.2, and 6.3 Mev. A half life of 1.42 plus or minus 0.02 min was determined. Isomerism of In/sup 110/ and In/sup 112/ is being investigated. (For preceding period see COO-173.) (W.D.M.)
- Published through SciTech Connect.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14119337