Those we forget : recounting Australian casualties of the First World War / David Noonan
- Noonan, David C.
- Carlton, Victoria : Melbourne University Publishing, 2014.
- Physical Description:
- xv, 210 pages : illustrations ; 21 cm.
- History series
- The official Australian casualty statistics suffered by the men of the Australian Imperial Force in the First World War are seriously wrong, with significant inaccuracies and omissions. Groundbreaking research exhaustively examining over 12,000 individual soldiers' records has revealed that hospitalisations for wounding, illness and injury suffered by men of the AIF are five times greater than officially acknowledged today. Why has it taken nearly one hundred years for this to come to light? Was it a conspiracy to suppress the toll, incompetence of Australia's official war historians Bean and Butler, or was it simply the unquestioning acceptance of the official record? You are invited on the journey in this book to find the truth. The findings are startling and will rewrite Australia's casualty statistics of the First World War. Lest we forget.
- 9780522866674 (paperback)
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
View MARC record | catkey: 14121137