Altalena [videorecording] / written & directed by Ilana Tsur
- Additional Titles:
- Title on container: Altalena : the ship that nearly caused a civil war in Israel
- Waltham, MA : National Center for Jewish Film, [1997?]
- Physical Description:
- 1 videocassette (54 min.) : sound, color with black and white sequences ; 1/2 in.
- Additional Creators:
- Tsur, Ilanah
National Center for Jewish Film
- Language Note:
- Narrated in Hebrew and English with some dialogue in Hebrew with English subtitles.
- Explores the circumstances surrounding the voyage of the Altalena, which sailed in June 1948 from France to Israel with a cargo of 930 World War II refugees and a large arsenal destined for the new state's right-wing underground. The Altalena's landing in Tel Aviv during a cease-fire in the War of Independence posed serious problems for the Israeli government, and Prime Minister David Ben Gurion's order to shell the ship nearly sparked a civil war.
- Title and credits from subtitles.
Originally produced as a motion picture in 1994.
"Keshet Broadcasting Ltd., Zavit Ltd."--Container.
- Technical Details:
View MARC record | catkey: 1412146