Group cognitive therapy for addictions [electronic resource] / Amy Wenzel [and others].
- New York : The Guilford Press, 
- Copyright Date:
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (xiii, 274 pages) : illustrations
- Additional Creators:
- Wenzel, Amy
- Machine generated contents note: pt. I BACKGROUND -- Introduction to Part I -- ch. 1 Scope of the Problem -- Prevalence and Cost of Addictions -- The Need for Effective Treatment -- Cognitive Therapy of Addictive Behavior -- Orientation to This Volume -- Summary -- ch. 2 Theoretical Framework: A Comprehensive Cognitive Model of Addiction -- Two-Tiered Model for Understanding Addictive Behavior -- Summary -- ch. 3 Theoretical Framework: Group Theory and the Stages-of-Change Model -- Group Psychotherapy -- Readiness for Change -- Summary -- ch. 4 Overview of the Cognitive Therapy Addictions Group (CTAG) -- Goals of Treatment -- CTAG Participants -- Preparation for Group Participation -- Structure of the CTAG -- Overview of this Manual -- ch. 5 Cognitive Case Conceptualization -- Formulating the Cognitive Case Conceptualization of the Individual Clinical Presentation -- Formulating the Cognitive Case Conceptualization of the Group -- Summary -- pt. II COGNITIVE THERAPY ADDICTIONS GROUP SESSION COMPONENTS -- Introduction to Part II -- ch. 6 Introductions -- Facilitator Introductions -- Group Member Introductions -- Education about the Cognitive Model -- Ideas for Session Topics -- Summary -- ch. 7 Evaluating Thoughts and Beliefs -- Working with Situational Cognitions -- Working with Beliefs -- Summary -- ch. 8 Developing Coping Skills -- Managing Urges and Cravings -- Repairing Existing Close Relationships -- Developing New Healthy Relationships -- Managing Unpleasant Emotions -- Improving Problem-Solving Skills -- Leading a Healthy Lifestyle -- Summary -- ch. 9 Homework and Closure -- Homework -- Closure -- Summary -- pt. III SUMMARY AND INTEGRATION -- Introduction to Part III -- ch. 10 Conclusion: Implementing the Cognitive Therapy Addictions Group -- Putting It All Together -- Challenging Group Members -- The End of Treatment -- Concluding Thoughts.
- This pragmatic guide from a team of experts including cognitive therapy originator Aaron T. Beck describes how to implement proven cognitive and behavioral addiction treatment strategies in a group format. It provides a flexible framework for conducting ongoing therapy groups that are open to clients with any addictive behavior problem, at any stage of recovery. Practical ideas are presented for optimizing group processes and helping clients build essential skills for coping and relapse prevention. Grounded in decades of research, the book features rich case examples and reproducible clinical.
- 9781462505654 (electronic bk.) and 1462505651 (electronic bk.)
- AVAILABLE ONLINE TO AUTHORIZED PSU USERS.
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Technical Details:
- Mode of access: World Wide Web.
View MARC record | catkey: 14122294