Review of Department of Defense Test Protocols for Combat Helmets [electronic resource] / Committee on Review of Test Protocols Used by the DoD to Test Combat Helmets, Board on Army Science and Technology, Division on Engineering and Physical Sciences
- Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, 
- Physical Description:
- xviii, 140 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 28 cm
- Additional Creators:
- National Research Council (U.S.). Committee on Review of Test Protocols Used by the DoD to Test Combat Helmets and National Research Council (U.S.). Board on Army Science and Technology
- Restrictions on Access:
- License restrictions may limit access.
- Evolution of combat helmets -- Threats, head injuries, and test methodologies -- Combat helmet testing -- Helmet performance measures and trends to test data -- First article testing protocols for resistance to penetration : statistical considerations and evaluations of DOD test plans -- Test protocols for backface deformation statistical considerations and assessment -- Lot acceptance testing -- Characterization tests for the advanced combat helmet and future helmets -- Linking helmet protection to brain injury.
- Review of the Department of Defense Test Protocols for Combat Helmets considers the technical issues relating to test protocols for military combat helmets. At the request of the DOD Director of Operational Test and Evaluation, this report evaluates the adequacy of the Advanced Combat Helmet test protocol for both first article testing and lot acceptance testing, including its use of the metrics of probability of no penetration and the upper tolerance limit (used to evaluate backface deformation). The report evaluates appropriate use of statistical techniques in gathering data; adequacy of current helmet testing procedures; procedures for the conduct of additional analysis of penetration and backface deformation data; and scope of characterization testing relative to the benefit of the information obtained.
- 9780309298667 (pbk.) and 0309298660
- Bibliography Note:
- Includes bibliographical references.
View MARC record | catkey: 14126452