On the development of a three-dimensional finite-element groundwater flow model of the saturated zone, Yucca Mountain, Nevada [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Civilian Radioactive Waste Management, 1996.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 11 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy. Office of Civilian Radioactive Waste Management and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Development of a preliminary three-dimensional model of the saturated zone at Yucca Mountain, the potential location for a high-level nuclear waste repository, is presented. The development of the model advances the technology of interfacing: (1)complex three-dimensional hydrogeologic framework modeling; (2) fully three-dimensional, unstructured, finite-element mesh generation; and (3) groundwater flow, heat, and transport simulation. The three-dimensional hydrogeologic framework model is developed using maps, cross sections, and well data. The framework model data are used to feed an automated mesh generator, designed to discretize irregular three-dimensional solids,a nd to assign materials properties from the hydrogeologic framework model to the tetrahedral elements. The mesh generator facilitated the addition of nodes to the finite-element mesh which correspond to the exact three-dimensional position of the potentiometric surface based on water-levels from wells. A ground water flow and heat simulator is run with the resulting finite- element mesh, within a parameter-estimation program. The application of the parameter-estimation program is designed to provide optimal values of permeability and specified fluxes over the model domain to minimize the residual between observed and simulated water levels.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:conf-9609146--1
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
2. International conference on calibration and reliability in groundwater modelling, Golden, CO (United States), 24-26 Sep 1996.
Faunt, C.C.; Gable, C.W.; Zyvoloski, G.A.; Czarnecki, J.B.
Geological Survey, Lakewood, CO (United States)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14143050