Determining the chemical composition of cloud condensation nuclei [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1992. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: (38 pages) : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- This third progress report describes the status of our efforts to develop the instrumentation to collect cloud condensation nuclei (CCN) in amounts sufficient for chemical analysis. During the fall of 1992 we started collecting filter samples of CCN with the laboratory version of the apparatus at Rolla -MO. The mobile version of the apparatus is in the latter stages of construction. This report includes a fairly rigorous discussion of the operation of the CCN sampling system. A statistical model of the operation of the system is presented to show the ability of the system to collect CCN in the two different size ranges for which we plan to determine the chemical composition. A question is raised by the model results about the operation of one of the virtual impactors. It appears to pass a small percent of particles larger than its cut-point that has the potential of contaminating the smallest CCN sample with larger CCN material. Further tests are necessary, but it may be necessary to redesign that impactor. The appendices of the report show pictures of both the laboratory version and the mobile version of the CCN sampling system. The major hardware has been completed, and the mobile version will be in operation within a few weeks.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 12/01/1992., "doe/er/61017-3", "DE93006785", White, D.R.; Williams, A.L.; Hopkins, A.R.; Schmitt, J.; Hagen, D.E.; Rothert, J.E.; McClure, K.E.; Alofs, D.J.; Trueblood, M.B. . Cloud and Aerosol Scie., and Illinois State Water Survey, Champaign, IL (United States)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14145020