Surface radiation survey and soil sampling of the 300-FF-1 operable unit, Hanford Site, southeastern Washington [electronic resource] : A case study
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Office of the Assistant Secretary for Nuclear Energy, 1990.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: (11 pages) : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Pacific Northwest Laboratory
United States. Office of the Assistant Secretary for Nuclear Energy
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- The methods used for conducting a radiological characterization of the soil surface for the Phase I Remedial Investigation of a Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) site is presented via a case study. The study site is an operable unit (300-FF-1) located in and adjacent to the 300 Area of the US Department of Energy's Hanford Site in southeastern Washington State. The operable unit contains liquid and solid waste disposal facilities associated with nuclear fuels fabrication. Continuous surface radiation surveying and soil sampling of selected locations were conducted. Contamination was found in several locations within the operable unit including areas near the liquid and solid waste disposal facilities. Instruments used during surveying included portable beta/gamma (P-11) detectors, and the Ultrasonic Ranging and Data System using an NaI (Tl) detector. Laboratory analyses results indicate that above-background radiation levels were primarily due to the presence of uranium. Both types of field instruments used in the study were effective in detecting surface contamination from radionuclides; however, each had specific advantages. Guidelines are presented for the optimum use of these instruments when performing a radiological characterization of the soil surface. 4 refs., 3 figs., 3 tabs.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
6. annual Department of Energy model conference on waste management and environmental restoration, Oak Ridge, TN (USA), 29 Oct - 2 Nov 1990.
Olsen, K.B.; Teel, S.S.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14147562