Planning for unplanned releases. [Radiation monitoring of gaseous and liquid radioactive effluents from nuclear power plants] [electronic resource].
- Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Oak Ridge National Laboratory, 1977. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 8 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Prevention of unplanned releases of airborne or liquid radioactive contaminants becomes increasingly necessary for public acceptance of nuclear power as a replacement for conventional energy sources. Environmental surveillance programs serve to prove compliance with regulations concerning radioactivity releases, and the analyses of data collected in such programs may serve as indicators of low-level unplanned releases. Analytical radiochemistry utilizing modern instrumental techniques of high-resolution alpha- and gamma-ray spectrometry coupled with selected radiochemical procedures is used for qualitative and quantitative determinations of radioactivity in surveillance samples. By combining the equipment, techniques, and personnel used in the surveillance programs into a facility emergency plan, it is possible to respond to unplanned releases in an expeditious manner. The radiochemist in charge of routine analyses for surveillance samples has unique knowledge to assist in the investigation stage following major unplanned releases. With early planning, the team of management, health physicists, and radiochemists can put together an emergency scheme to lessen the impact of unplanned releases.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/01/1977., "conf-770916-3", International symposium on the monitoring of radioactive airborne and liquid releases from nuclear facilities, Portoroz, Yugoslavia, 5 Sep 1977., and Eldridge, J S; Lyon, W S; Oakes, T W.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14152041