A directory service for configuring high-performance distributed computations [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy. Office of Energy Research, 1997.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 12 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Argonne National Laboratory
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Energy Research
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- High-performance execution in distributed computing environments often requires careful selection and configuration not only of computers, networks, and other resources but also of the protocols and algorithms used by applications. Selection and configuration in turn require access to accurate, up-to-date information on the structure and state of available resources. Unfortunately, no standard mechanism exists for organizing or accessing such information. Consequently, different tools and applications adopt ad hoc mechanisms, or they compromise their portability and performance by using default configurations. We propose a Metacomputing Directory Service that provides efficient and scalable access to diverse, dynamic, and distributed information about resource structure and state. We define an extensible data model to represent required information and present a scalable, high-performance, distributed implementation. The data representation and application programming interface are adopted from the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol; the data model and implementation are new. We use the Globus distributed computing toolkit to illustrate how this directory service enables the development of more flexible and efficient distributed computing services and applications.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
": Contract N66001-96-C-8523"
6. IEEE international symposium on high peformance distributed computing, Portland, OR (United States), 5-8 Aug 1997.
Fitzgerald, S.; Foster, I.; Kesselman, C.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14349008