That was then and this is now [electronic resource] : A case study of document control for the Advanced Test Reactor
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1992. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 6 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Even as Department of Energy (DOE) budgets are being adjusted to reflect the changing international scene, DOE and its contractors are becoming more proactive in environment, safety, and health. This focus places stringent requirements on Configuration Management-Document Control. EG&G Idaho, Inc. (EG&G Idaho), a prime management and operations contractor for DOE at the Idaho National Engineering Laboratory (INEL), operates the Advanced Test Reactor (ATR) as a major continuing program. The ATR has been operating for 25 years, under successive contractors. The requirements and techniques originally developed and applied to configuration management-document control were, by today`s standards, casual. To maximize the cost-effectiveness and accuracy of ATR Configuration Management-Document Control, a major effort was required. Documents, which previously existed in various electronic file formats, have been uniformly converted into a single word processing application. An Ethernet Local Area Network (LAN) has been installed and a competent network administrator hired. A document data base has been procured and installed on the file server. Further improvements are ongoing. The data base software enables rapid searches of existing documentation and retrieves documents with pinpoint accuracy. This capability means that an accurate, current operations baseline can be output for any system, component, or process. In many ways, the new focus on distributing current, correct, and complete information has yielded significant productivity and quality improvements and cost savings. This paper addresses the process of upgrading ATR Configuration Management-Document Control.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 10/01/1992., "egg-m--92072", " conf-920849--2", "DE93001958", 16. annual Nuclear Information and Records Management Association symposium: shared information - golden gateway to progress,San Francisco, CA (United States),30 Aug - 2 Sep 1992., Meltzer, F.L.; Collins, S.K., and EG and G Idaho, Inc., Idaho Falls, ID (United States)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14357224