Statistical properties of an algorithm used for illicit substance detection by fast-neutron transmission [electronic resource].
- Argonne, Ill. : Argonne National Laboratory, 1994.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 7 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Argonne National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- A least-squares algorithm developed for analysis of fast-neutron transmission data resulting from non-destructive interrogation of sealed luggage and containers is subjected to a probabilistic interpretation. The approach is to convert knowledge of uncertainties in the derived areal elemental densities, as provided by this algorithm, into probability information that can be used to judge whether an interrogated object is either benign or potentially contains an illicit substance that should be investigated further. Two approaches are considered in this paper. One involves integration of a normalized probability density function associated with the least-squares solution. The other tests this solution against a hypothesis that the interrogated object indeed contains illicit material. This is accomplished by an application of the F-distribution from statistics. These two methods of data interpretation are applied to specific sets of neutron transmission results produced by Monte Carlo simulation.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:anl/td/cp--83205
E 1.99: conf-9406176--2
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
": Contract DTFA03-03-X-00021 Contract 6-CO-160-00-195"
4. international conference on applications of nuclear techniques: neutrons and their applications,Crete (Greece),12-18 Jun 1994.
Smith, D.L.; Novick, A.H.; Harper, M.K.; Micklich, B.J.; Sagalovsky, L.
Federal Aviation Administration, Washington, DC (United States)
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14358411