Underground storage tank integrated demonstration [electronic resource] : Evaluation of pretreatment options for Hanford tank wastes
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1993. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 34 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Pacific Northwest Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Separation science plays a central role inn the pretreatment and disposal of nuclear wastes. The potential benefits of applying chemical separations in the pretreatment of the radioactive wastes stored at the various US Department of Energy sites cover both economic and environmental incentives. This is especially true at the Hanford Site, where the huge volume (>60 Mgal) of radioactive wastes stored in underground tanks could be partitioned into a very small volume of high-level waste (HLW) and a relatively large volume of low-level waste (LLW). The cost associated with vitrifying and disposing of just the HLW fraction in a geologic repository would be much less than those associated with vitrifying and disposing of all the wastes directly. Futhermore, the quality of the LLW form (e.g., grout) would be improved due to the lower inventory of radionuclides present in the LLW stream. In this report, we present the results of an evaluation of the pretreatment options for sludge taken from two different single-shell tanks at the Hanford Site-Tanks 241-B-110 and 241-U-110 (referred to as B-110 and U-110, respectively). The pretreatment options examined for these wastes included (1) leaching of transuranic (TRU) elements from the sludge, and (2) dissolution of the sludge followed by extraction of TRUs and ⁹°Sr. In addition, the TRU leaching approach was examined for a third tank waste type, neutralized cladding removal waste.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 06/01/1993., "pnl--8537", "DE93016830", and Jones, E.O.; Wagner, M.J.; Lumetta, G.J.; Colton, N.G.
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Topical; 06/01/1993 - 06/01/1993
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14358807