Method of separating short half-life radionuclides from a mixture of radionuclides [electronic resource].
- Richland, Wash. : Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (U.S.), 1999.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Additional Creators:
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (U.S.) and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- The present invention is a method of removing an impurity of plutonium, lead or a combination thereof from a mixture of radionuclides that contains the impurity and at least one parent radionuclide. The method has the steps of (a) insuring that the mixture is a hydrochloric acid mixture; (b) oxidizing the acidic mixture and specifically oxidizing the impurity to its highest oxidation state; and (c) passing the oxidized mixture through a chloride form anion exchange column whereupon the oxidized impurity absorbs to the chloride form anion exchange column and the 22.sup.9 Th or 2.sup.27 Ac "cow" radionuclide passes through the chloride form anion exchange column. The plutonium is removed for the purpose of obtaining other alpha emitting radionuclides in a highly purified form suitable for medical therapy. In addition to plutonium; lead, iron, cobalt, copper, uranium, and other metallic cations that form chloride anionic complexes that may be present in the mixture; are removed from the mixture on the chloride form anion exchange column.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:us 5885465
- Other Subject(s):
- Method Separating Half-Life Radionuclides Mixture Radionuclides Method Removing Impurity Plutonium Lead Combination Mixture Radionuclides Contains Impurity Parent Radionuclide Method Steps Insuring Mixture Hydrochloric Acid Mixture Oxidizing Acidic Mixture Specifically Oxidizing Impurity Oxidation Passing Oxidized Mixture Chloride Form Anion Exchange Column Whereupon Oxidized Impurity Absorbs Chloride Form Anion Exchange Column 22 27 Cow Radionuclide Passes Chloride Form Anion Exchange Column Plutonium Removed Purpose Obtaining Alpha Emitting Radionuclides Highly Purified Form Suitable Medical Therapy Addition Plutonium Lead Iron Cobalt Copper Uranium Metallic Cations Form Chloride Anionic Complexes Mixture Removed Mixture Chloride Form Anion Exchange Column Chloride Form Chloride Form Chloride Form Chloride Form Exchange Column Exchange Column Exchange Column Exchange Column Hydrochloric Acid Anion Exchange Anion Exchange Anion Exchange Anion Exchange Medical Therapy Acid Mixture Half-Life Radionuclides Form Suitable Emitting Radionuclide Metallic Cation Anionic Complex Alpha Emitting
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Bray, Lane A.; Ryan, Jack L.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14367068