Seismic analysis of fuel and target assemblies at a production reactor [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1991. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: (7 pages) : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- This paper describes the unique modeling and analysis considerations used to assess the seismic adequacy of the fuel and target assemblies in a production reactor at Savannah River Site. This confirmatory analysis was necessary to provide assurance that the reactor can operate safely during a seismic event and be brought to a safe shutdown condition. The plant which was originally designed in the 1950's required to be assessed to more current seismic criteria. The design of the reactor internals and the magnitude of the structural responses enabled the use of a linear elastic dynamic analysis. A seismic analysis was performed using a finite element model consisting of the fuel and target assemblies, reactor tank, and a portion of the concrete structure supporting the reactor tank. The effects of submergence of the fuel and target assemblies in the water contained within the reactor tank can have a significant effect on their seismic response. Thus, the model included hydrodynamic fluid coupling effects between the assemblies and the reactor tank. Fluid coupling mass terms were based on formulations for solid bodies immersed in incompressible and frictionless fluids. The potential effects of gap conditions were also assessed in this evaluation. 5 refs., 6 figs., 1 tab.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/01/1991., "bnl-46005", " conf-910602--33", "DE91011722", American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) pressure vessels and piping conference, San Diego, CA (USA), 23-27 Jun 1991., and Wang, Y.K.; Braverman, J.I.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14367253