Accident progression event tree analysis for postulated severe accidents at N Reactor [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C : United States. Dept. of Energy. Assistant Secretary for Environment, Safety, and Health, 1990.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: (555 pages) : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Sandia National Laboratories, United States. Department of Energy. Assistant Secretary for Environment, Safety, and Health, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- A Level II/III probabilistic risk assessment (PRA) has been performed for N Reactor, a Department of Energy (DOE) production reactor located on the Hanford reservation in Washington. The accident progression analysis documented in this report determines how core damage accidents identified in the Level I PRA progress from fuel damage to confinement response and potential releases the environment. The objectives of the study are to generate accident progression data for the Level II/III PRA source term model and to identify changes that could improve plant response under accident conditions. The scope of the analysis is comprehensive, excluding only sabotage and operator errors of commission. State-of-the-art methodology is employed based largely on the methods developed by Sandia for the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission in support of the NUREG-1150 study. The accident progression model allows complex interactions and dependencies between systems to be explicitly considered. Latin Hypecube sampling was used to assess the phenomenological and systemic uncertainties associated with the primary and confinement system responses to the core damage accident. The results of the analysis show that the N Reactor confinement concept provides significant radiological protection for most of the accident progression pathways studied.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:sand-89-2100
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Miller, L.A.; Kunsman, D.M.; Wyss, G.D.; Camp, A.L.; Dingman, S.E.; Medford, G.T.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14368795