Engineering studies to support a liquid sodium cooled pebble bed target/blanket for an accelerator breeder [electronic resource].
- Los Alamos, N.M. : Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory, 1977.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 12 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory
United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Preliminary calculations on using a liquid sodium cooled pebble bed of thorium metal for the target and blanket of a particle accelerator to convert fertile material to fissile have indicated the concept has considerable merit. Fuel management is simple and continuous on-line feed is effected. Additional features include excellent heat transfer, low pressure drop, minimization of structures and enhanced safety. Promising features strongly suggest that the work be continued to further refine the studies. Although specific to the target and blanket of the accelerator breeder concept, the work is readily extended to a high efficiency liquid metal cooled nuclear reactor employing a pebble bed as the fuel. 10 refs., 4 figs., 1 tab.
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Accelerator breeder conference, Los Alamos, NM, USA, 8 Nov 1977.
Cooper, K.C.; Malenfant, R.E.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14370507