Production test IP-695-AC thorium oxide irradiation -- K Reactors [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1964. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 17 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- General Electric Company, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Irradiation of thorium for the production of ``clean`` U-233 at HAPO began in CY 1963. Several small-scale tests, involving from gram-size quantities up to a few elements, were successfully conducted; the results from these tests, coupled with theoretical predictions, indicated the desirability of further investigation. The objectives of this test are to (1) authorize the irradiation of about two tons of thorium oxide target elements in central zone process tubes of KE Reactor, (2) determine the reactivity effects of an enriched uranium-thorium oxide (E-Q) loading in the K Reactors, (3) demonstrate the feasibility of using the K Reactors in production of ``clean`` U-233, (4) provide sufficient irradiated thoria material to permit demonstration of the chemical processing capabilities, and (5) obtain data from an extended irradiation of one column of thoria elements.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 07/07/1964., "hw--82789", "DE94016438", and Gross, P.D.; Hladek, K.L.
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Topical; 07/01/1964 - 07/01/1964
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14371082