The United Nations [electronic resource] : A Beginner''s Guide
- MacQueen, Norrie
- New York : Oneworld Publications, 2012.
- Physical Description:
- 1 online resource (310 pages)
- Beginner's guides
- Cover; Title page; Copyright page; Contents; List of illustrations; Abbreviations and acronyms; Members of the United Nations; United Nations peacekeeping operations; 1 The origins of the UN; 2 Powers, bureaucracy and leadership; 3 Peace I: collective security and arms control; 4 Peace II: peacekeeping and humanitarian intervention; 5 International law and human rights; 6 Decolonization and development; 7 Environment: sustainability and the future of the planet; 8 Taking stock: reform and the future; Notes; Further reading; Index
- <Div>Since its inception in 1945, the United Nations has had a powerful but controversial influence on global politics. In this informative guide, Norrie MacQueen provides a clear and comprehensive introduction to its institutions, remit, personalities, and role in the modern world. Defending it from common criticisms of bureaucratic paralysis and bias towards the developed world, MacQueen argues that its limitations are due to the complex web of national interests that it seeks to reconcile.</div>
- 9781780741802 and 1780741804
- Description based upon print version of record.
View MARC record | catkey: 14375851