Concept for simultaneous acceleration/deceleration of heavy ions in a single rf linac [electronic resource].
- Argonne, Ill. : Argonne National Laboratory, 1989. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 12 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Argonne National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- This paper outlines a concept for obtaining highly-stripped low- velocity heavy ions by accelerating an ion beam with an rf linac and then, after stripping, using the same linac to reversibly decelerate the beam back to the injection energy. The synchronous-phase requirement and the matching relationship in longitudinal phase space are stated, and a realistic example of these relationships is given for a /sup 58/Ni beam. The probable performance characteristics of the ATLAS superconducting linac operated in this new accel/decel mode are discussed. 11 refs., 2 figs.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 01/01/1989., "anl/pprnt-89-93", "DE89008428", and Bollinger, L.M.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14381425