Geophysical logging and hydrologic testing of deep basalt flows in the Rattlesnake Hills Well Number One [electronic resource].
- Richland, Wash. : Rockwell Hanford Operations, 1979.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 136 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Rockwell Hanford Operations and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Geophysical logging and hydrologic testing were conducted in the Rattlesnake Hills Well Number One located along the western boundary of the Hanford Site in south-central Washington. Three-dimensional velocity, Seisviewer and caliper logging were completed across 2,000 feet of basalt rock within the Wanapum and Grande Ronde formations. Drillstem testing focused along a 250-foot interval of the Grande Ronde Formation. Individual high- (approx. 2.7-2.9 grams per cubic centimeter) and low-density (approx. 2.3-2.6 grams per cubic centimeter) basalt zones within the Wanapum Formation are generally less than 50 feet thick. Within the estimated thickness of the Grande Ronde Formation, 85 percent of the low-density zones are less than 50 feet thick, compared to 55 percent of those of higher density. The Grande Ronde Formation has 13 high-density zones varying in thickness from 51 to 230 feet. Logging data suggest the thicknesses of low-density are independent of the thicknesses of the associated and underlying higher density columnar basalts. Eleven drillstem tests were conducted across selected intervals within the Grande Ronde Formation. Hydraulic conductivity values calculated for the low-density basalt zones ranged between 1.7 x 10/sup -7/ and 3.8 x 10/sup -9/ centimeters per second; those for high-density zones were between 1.1 x 10/sup -8/ and 4.7 x 10/sup -9/ centimeters per second.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:rho-bwi-st-1
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Gephart, R.E.; Deju, R.A.; Eddy, P.A.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14381951