Demonstration of a Biphase topping turbine [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1996. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- pages 127-134 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- United States. Department of Energy and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- A wellhead power plant with a Biphase rotary separator turbine is being constructed at Cerro Prieto, Mexico. The Model 30RSB Biphase turbine is a production design with improved performance and reduced cost, resulting from development projects, and proven by demonstration operation under this Department of Energy program at Coso Hot Springs, CA. The Model 3ORSB Biphase turbine is sized for application as a topping turbine for use at most geothermal projects worldwide that have medium to high pressure resources. The first unit will increase the electricity production due to the given well flow by more than 40%. This major improvement in utilization of the resource leads to significant reduction in geothermal power costs, which is the goal of this DOE meeting. Cost savings have been realized for this turbine by means of a standardized design, by innovative ceramic bearings, and by simplification of the rotating elements. Improved performance by the use of steam blades was proven by the sub-scale tests. Analysis shows that the addition of a backpressure steam turbine significantly improves power output on high enthalpy wells. Design and projected performance of the initial wellhead plant are reported.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 04/10/1996., "doe/ee--0106", " conf-9604116--20", "DE96015206", 14. DOE/Industry geothermal program review on keeping geothermal energy competitive in foreign and domestic markets, Berkeley, CA (United States), 8-11 Apr 1996., Hays, L.; Studhalter, W.; Cerini, D., and Douglas Energy Company, San Diego, CA
View MARC record | catkey: 14383056