Homodyne impulse radar hidden object locator [electronic resource].
- Berkeley, Calif. : Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 1996.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Additional Creators:
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- An electromagnetic detector is designed to locate an object hidden behind a separator or a cavity within a solid object. The detector includes a PRF generator for generating 2 MHz pulses, a homodyne oscillator for generating a 2 kHz square wave, and for modulating the pulses from the PRF generator. A transmit antenna transmits the modulated pulses through the separator, and a receive antenna receives the signals reflected off the object. The receiver path of the detector includes a sample and hold circuit, an AC coupled amplifier which filters out DC bias level shifts in the sample and hold circuit, and a rectifier circuit connected to the homodyne oscillator and to the AC coupled amplifier, for synchronously rectifying the modulated pulses transmitted over the transmit antenna. The homodyne oscillator modulates the signal from the PRF generator with a continuous wave (CW) signal, and the AC coupled amplifier operates with a passband centered on that CW signal. The present detector can be used in several applications, including the detection of metallic and non-metallic objects, such as pipes, studs, joists, nails, rebars, conduits and electrical wiring, behind wood wall, ceiling, plywood, particle board, dense hardwood, masonry and cement structure. The detector is portable, light weight, simple to use, inexpensive, and has a low power emission which facilitates the compliance with Part 15 of the FCC rules.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:us 5512834
- Other Subject(s):
- Homodyne Impulse Radar Hidden Locator Electromagnetic Detector Designed Locate Hidden Separator Cavity Solid Detector Prf Generator Generating Mhz Pulses Homodyne Oscillator Generating Khz Square Wave Modulating Pulses Prf Generator Transmit Antenna Transmits Modulated Pulses Separator Receive Antenna Receives Signals Reflected Receiver Path Detector Sample Hold Circuit Coupled Amplifier Filters Dc Bias Level Shifts Sample Hold Circuit Rectifier Circuit Connected Homodyne Oscillator Coupled Amplifier Synchronously Rectifying Modulated Pulses Transmitted Transmit Antenna Homodyne Oscillator Modulates Signal Prf Generator Continuous Wave Cw Signal Coupled Amplifier Operates Passband Centered Cw Signal Detector Applications Including Detection Metallic Non-Metallic Pipes Studs Joists Nails Rebars Conduits Electrical Wiring Wood Wall Ceiling Plywood Particle Board Dense Hardwood Masonry Cement Structure Detector Portable Light Weight Simple Inexpensive Power Emission Facilitates Compliance 15 Fcc Rules Impulse Radar Light Weight Circuit Connected Continuous Wave Receive Antenna Dc Bias Transmit Antenna Transmit Antenna Square Wave Hold Circuit Hold Circuit Rf Generator Rf Generator Rf Generator Signals Reflected Pulses Transmitted Modulated Pulse Modulated Pulse Electrical Wiring Pulse Radar Rectifier Circuit Modulated Pulses Modulated Pulses Antenna Transmits
- Published through SciTech Connect.
McEwan, Thomas E.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14387846