Low severity upgrading of F-T waxes with solid superacids. Quarterly report [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1992. and Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 14 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- University of Pittsburgh. Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- In the past year, we synthesized a Pt/ZrO₂/SO₄ catalyst which exhibits high conversions and selectivity for desirable products from long-chain paraffins, such as n-hexadecane, n-dotriacontane(n-C₃₂) and a SASOL wax(C₅₈-C₆₄). The catalyst preparation procedure has been carefully worked out and is reproducible. Isomerization and hydrocracking activities of long-chain paraffins and selectivities to various products were examined under mild conditions: 443 K and 2.5 MPa initial hydrogen pressure. Effects of temperature, pressure, catalyst loading, Pt concentration on n-alkane conversions were studied to understand the mechanism on the acid catalyst surface. Upgrading of the alkanes proceeds through initial isomerization followed by β-scission reactions and further isomerizations. Isomerization is favored at low temperature and short reaction times, whereas cracking is favored at higher temperatures or pressures. The hydrogen pressure has a considerable influence on the product distribution. Hydrogen transfer probably proceeds through dissociation of molecular hydrogen to generate pretonic acid sites which cause C-C cleavage. Effect of increasing Pt loadings shows a trend similar to increasing hydrogen pressure. Characterization of the present catalyst demonstrates that catalytic activity depends to a large extent on proper coordination of finely dispersed platinum to strong acid sites as well as on pore size distribution.
- Published through SciTech Connect., 12/31/1992., "doe/pc/91304--t4", "DE93008123", and Wender, I.; Tierney, J.W.
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Quarterly; 07/01/1992 - 09/30/1992
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14394783