Structure of high-pressure KNO/sub 3/-IV [electronic resource].
- Argonne, Ill. : Argonne National Laboratory, 1985.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- Pages: 13 : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Argonne National Laboratory and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Potassium nitrate has seven polymorphs in the pressure range to 40 kbar. The structures of the three phases obtainable at atmospheric pressure are known. Attempts to solve the structure of high pressure KNO/sub 3/ phase IV by x-ray diffraction have been unsuccessful. We have now solved this structure using time-of-flight neutron powder diffraction data taken at room temperature and 3.6 kbar on the SEPD at IPNS. High pressure KNO/sub 3/-IV has the same space group and point group symmetry as the low pressure KNO/sub 3/-II, but with different values for lattice parameters and atomic positions. The structure of KNO/sub 3/-IV is orthorhombic Pnma with a = 7.4867(2), b = 5.5648(2), and c = 6.7629(2) with four formula units per unit cell. The K, N, and one O atom are in special positions (4c) and the other O atoms are in the general position (8d) just as in the atmospheric pressure phase. The O-N-O bond angles are 120.4(1)/sup 0/, and 119.3(2)/sup 0/. The N-O bond lengths are 1.228(3)A and 1.246(2)A.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:conf-850871-11
- Other Subject(s):
- Potassium Nitrates
- Crystal-Phase Transformations
- Crystal Structure
- Lattice Parameters
- Neutron Diffraction
- Orthorhombic Lattices
- Pressure Effects
- Very High Pressure
- Alkali Metal Compounds
- Coherent Scattering
- Crystal Lattices
- Nitrogen Compounds
- Oxygen Compounds
- Phase Transformations
- Potassium Compounds
- Published through SciTech Connect.
International conference on neutron scattering, Santa Fe, NM, USA, 19 Aug 1985.
Decker, D.L.; Kleb, R.; Worlton, T.G.; Jorgensen, J.D.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14397000