Effects of Te inclusions on the performance of CdZnTe radiation detectors [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. National Nuclear Security Administration, 2008.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Additional Creators:
- Brookhaven National Laboratory, United States. National Nuclear Security Administration, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- Te inclusions existing at high concentrations in CdZnTe (CZT) material can degrade the performance of CZT detectors. These microscopic defects trap the free electrons generated by incident radiation, so entailing significant fluctuations in the total collected charge and thereby strongly affecting the energy resolution of thick (long-drift) detectors. Such effects were demonstrated in thin planar detectors, and, in many cases, they proved to be the dominant cause of the low performance of thick detectors, wherein the fluctuations in the charge losses accumulate along the charge's drift path. We continued studying this effect using different tools and techniques. We employed a dedicated beamline recently established at BNL's National Synchrotron Light Source for characterizing semiconductor radiation detectors, along with an IR transmission microscope system, the combination of which allowed us to correlate the concentration of defects with the devices performances. We present here our new results from testing over 50 CZT samples grown by different techniques. Our goals are to establish tolerable limits on the size and concentrations of these detrimental Te inclusions in CZT material, and to provide feedback to crystal growers to reduce their numbers in the material.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:bnl--82133-2009-cp
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
2008 Nuclear Science Symposium (NSS) and Medical Imaging Conference (MIC) ; Dresden, Germany; 20081018 through 20081025.
James, R. B.; Jackson, E. M.; Jackson, H. C.; James, J. A.; Babalola, O. S.; Cui, Y.; Hossain, A. M.; Bolotnikov,A.E.; Camarda, G. S.; Kohman, K. T.; Luryi, A. L.; Abdul-Jabber, N. M.
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14399324