NBC operation manual including the multi-position add-a-source function [electronic resource].
- Washington, D.C. : United States. Dept. of Energy, 1994.
Oak Ridge, Tenn. : Distributed by the Office of Scientific and Technical Information, U.S. Dept. of Energy.
- Physical Description:
- 36 pages : digital, PDF file
- Additional Creators:
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, United States. Department of Energy, and United States. Department of Energy. Office of Scientific and Technical Information
- Restrictions on Access:
- Free-to-read Unrestricted online access
- This manual describes the design modifications and operating characteristics of a 200-l-drum neutron coincidence counter. The counter has six shielded banks of ³He tubes and JSR-11 shift register coincidence electronics. The modified design has a counting efficiency of 19.3%. The neutron counter measures the spontaneous-fission rate from the plutonium, and when this is combined with the plutonium isotopic ratios, we can determine the plutonium mass. The system includes the new multi-position add-a-source (AS) technique that uses a small ²⁵²Cf source to determine the drum`s matrix perturbation to the plutonium assay. The ²⁵²Cf source is measured at three positions on the exterior of the drum to obtain the spatial distribution for the matrix correction. This manual gives the performance and calibration parameters. The matrix corrections by the AS technique are accurate to a few percent for typical applications.
- Report Numbers:
- E 1.99:la--12737-m
- Other Subject(s):
- Published through SciTech Connect.
Foster, L.A.; Menlove, H.O.; Baca, J.
- Type of Report and Period Covered Note:
- Topical; 03/01/1994 - 03/01/1994
- Funding Information:
View MARC record | catkey: 14400706